The Ultimate Guide to AP Classes at EHS

Nathalia Davila

The Ultimate Guide to AP Classes at Ewing High School 2019:

As a junior who has conquered the stress of four AP classes and put in hours of research prior to taking the classes I took, I consider myself an AP veteran of the sort. With course selections coming out, here is the ultimate guide to AP classes:

In no apparent order:

AP English Language and Composition:

Teacher: Mrs. Masterson

This class is an introduction to higher level thinking and writing. Here, normal conventions of thinking will be challenged and everything from the Rogerian argument to rhetorical devices will be discussed.

What to expect:

-Vocab and or reading quizzes and tests. Several books will be read throughout the semester, and in typical AP English fashion, you will have reading/textbook homework nightly.

-Timed essays and multiple choice practice for the AP test (taking the test is not required but optional and encouraged.)

Larger class size, as it is one of the most popular AP classes.

Average time per night: Anywhere between 30 mins to 1 hour and 30 mins typically, although your effort is reflected in your grade.

Students say: “I think it is worth taking, it is full of rich lessons and inspires critical thinking.”

“Mrs. Masterson is a great teacher, she makes it fun and provides it with an elective feel rather than a rigid class.”

AP Environmental Science:

Teacher: Mrs. Wilson

This class is informative and provides students with an in-depth look at major global issues such as energy use/waste, water, and land pollution.

What to expect:

-Cumulative, larger tests, FRQS, fun labs.

-Builds on prior knowledge and often, common sense

-Final does not count if you plan to take the AP test, therefore it is strongly encouraged.

Small/smaller class size

Average time per night: 30 minutes average, with minimal yet effective homework.

Students say: “The class is exciting and fun, however, it is easy to get behind on things and you are ultimately responsible for your grades. Turning things in is crucial.”

AP Biology:

Teacher: Mr. Hammer

What to expect: A more in-depth, faster-paced and complex look at biology concepts introduced to students in honors/college prep biology.

-This course is FULL YEAR

-Learning through traditional teaching and labs

-Multiple choice exams and FRQs

Very small class size

Average time per night: Unknown (sorry)

Students say: “Mr. Hammer is a great teacher, he makes learning fun and personalized. Though the class is challenging, it is worth it and I highly encourage others to take it.”

AP Calculus AB/BC:

Teacher: Mrs. Aiello

AB is a prerequisite to BC, BC builds on concepts discussed in AB and creates a foundation for new skills and concepts. The class challenges students and prepares them for the rigor of college math.

-Very fast paced, about 1 lesson per day

-Encourages mastery and memorization of formulas

-Tests and quizzes are 90% of students’ grade

-The AP test is encouraged to receive college credit.

Larger class size for AB than BC

Average time per night: 20 minutes.

Students say: “The homework and class are not bad, however, the class moves very quickly. The tests allow you to get more familiar with formulas and challenge yourself.”

AP Human Geography:

Teacher: Mr. Ballek

What to expect: As one of the only APs which truly studies both history and the present day, the class helps build globally aware students through its’ discussion of cultural, political and social traditions worldwide. Human geography explains why people are the way they are and why they are WHERE they are geographically.

-Informative and helpful group discussions

-Learning about countless important and useful topics.

-LOTS of informational, engaging movies and videos which help illustrate topics.

-MAPS…this is a “geography” course but do not be afraid of them, they only make up a small portion of the info.

-FRQs, multiple choice tests, and occasional quizzes.

Average time per night: 45 minutes. Studying takes longer since there is often a fair share of info. to cover, however, homework is typically reading done in the textbook and consists of answering questions on the key topics read.

Students say: “ Do not be intimated by the ‘map test’ and summer work, AP HUG’ is lots of fun and very informational. It created a foundation of knowledge that became useful in my other classes. It is a great AP for sophomores, juniors or seniors and I would HIGHLY recommend.”

AP Statistics:

Teacher: Mr. Weber

What to expect: The class teaches students how to analyze, collect and draw conclusions about data presented to them.

-Multiple choice and FRQ style questions.

Average Time Per Night: Gave time in class, an average of 1/2 hour nightly.

Students say: “It was easier than I expected but it composed of a lot of studying. Each chapter was very different.”

AP European History:

Teacher: Mr. Dutch

What to expect: Lots of reading and conceptualization, the class is genuinely modeled after a college course and encourages skill in both English and History. The course progresses quickly and discusses social, political and cultural topics from the Renaissance until the Cold War.

-In class DBQs, short answers, multiple choice stimulus based test questions modeled after the AP test.

Very small class size

Average time per night: Average homework is reading in the textbook and taking notes- approximately 1 hour or more depending on pace.

Students say: “Mr. Dutch is a great teacher, the class is small and personal, it helps to slow the pace down and allows for group discussion.” “It is by no means easy (it is pretty hard) but it is great preparation for college.”

AP US History:

Teachers: Mr. Burley and Mrs. Walker

What to expect: The class is an in-depth look and discussion of cultural, political and social American history beginning with colonialism. It reinforces students prior knowledge of American history.

-This is a FULL YEAR class

-Lots of DBQs, multiple choice tests, projects, and presentations.

-A larger class size since it is a VERY popular junior AP (typically split into 2 blocks)

-The AP test is taken in May even though the class is not over until school ends.

Average time per night:

-1 hour. However, some nights are longer.

Students say: “Staying on top of assignments is very important, so is putting in a lot of effort. APUSH 1 and 2 are very different both in workload and teaching style.”

To conclude, taking AP classes are a great way to challenge yourself and challenge your strength as an intellectual and student. That being said, they are CHALLENGING and are taken at your own discretion, only take the amount which you feel you can keep up and work your schedule around. Taking three or four AP classes is not always advantageous, it can be easy to become unmotivated and fall behind, however it most certainly CAN be done. Therefore, when choosing the classes you take next year, make sure you consider your social, mental, emotional and physical wellbeing.