School Shootings in America

Sandy Hook Promise

According to an article from April 2022 on NPR Firearms are now the leading cause of death among children.

Rebecca St Fleur, Class of 2024, Contributor

Gun violence and school shootings are a uniquely American experience. Every day, 12 children die from gun violence. Since 2009, there has been 298 school shootings. In comparison to other countries, their highest number of these massacres have only been 2. Last year alone, there was over 600 shooting massacres. When will it be enough? Who else will have to die for something to be done?

Chris Murphy, a senator from the same state Sandy Hook occured, spoke on the senate floor, furious over the Texas elementary school shooting just a few hours before. It has killed at least 19 students and 2 teachers.

“Sandy Hook will never, ever be the same,” Murphy said, his voice cracking. “This community in Texas will never, ever be the same. Why? Why are we here? If not to try to make sure that fewer schools and fewer communities go through what Sandy Hook has gone through. What Uvalde is going through.”

He continued, “I am here on this floor to beg — to literally get down on my hands and knees and beg my colleagues. Find a path forward here. Work with us to find a way to pass laws that make this less likely. I understand my Republican colleagues may not agree to everything I support, but there is a common denominator we can find. There is a place where we can achieve agreement…”

He finished with a poignant statement of reflection. “What are we doing? Why are we here? What are we doing?”

The repetition of this horror should not be normalized and yet it is. In a few days, this won’t even be on the news anymore. Another shooting will take its place. Like this is all just a usual day in America.